Notes are gathered under the following headings:
- The footnotes of the 1891 edition.
- Endnotes included in the 1991 reprint.
- Editorial Comments
- In the main, substantive comments of the 1891 editors that are found in the manuscripts. A few footnotes by the author are also recorded here.
- Editorial Marks
- Manuscript markup showing passage selection by the 1891 editors.
The following items in the 1891 edition have been altered:
- Introduction (xii): the duplicated point “11” is now numbered “12.”
- Chapter VII (113): dateline added for July 21.