|Grosvenor Square London Septr. 12. 1785.|
Heads of Enquiry for Mr. Barclay, as to Morocco Algiers Tunis &c &c.
1. Commerce—What are their Articles of Export & Import? What Articles of American produce might find a Market in Morocco Algiers, Tunis, Tripoli &c. & at what prices. Whether Rice flour Tobacco, Furs, ready built Ships, Fish Oyl, Tar turpentine Ship timber &c and whether any of these Articles would hereafter be acceptable as presents? What Duties are levied by them on Exports & Imports? Do all Nations pay the same, or what nations are favored & how far? Are they their own carriers, or who carries for them? Do they trade themselves to other Countrys, or are they merely passive? What manufactures or productions of these Countrys would be convenient in America, & at what Prices?
2. Ports . . . What are their principal Ports What depth of Water into them What Works of defence protect these Ports?
3. Naval Force. How many armed Vessells have they of what kind & Force? What is the constitution of their naval Force? What resources for encresing their navy? What Number of Seamen? their cruizing Grounds & season of cruizing?—
4. Prisoners. . What is their Condition & treatment? At what price are they ordinarily redeemed & how? Do they pay respect to the treaties they make? Land Forces. Their numbers; Constitution & respectability? Revenues. thier Amount?
5. Language. . .What language is spoken? & what European Language is most understood?
6. Government. . .What is their connection with the Ottoman Porte? Is there any dependance or subordination to it acknowledged & what degree of Power & Influence has it?—
7. Religion. . .By what principle of Religion is it that they consider all christian Powers as their Enemies, untill they become friends by Treaties &c.—?
8. Captures.. . .What Captures have been made of Ships or Citizens of the United States? & any other Nations. What Nation are they now at War with?. .